Read "The Man I Killed" & excerpt from Goodbye Darkness (WARNING: Both very graphic violence)
• How do both men react immediately after shooting the enemy? What is similar in their reactions and thoughts?
• How do both soldiers fit in with the other soldiers in their platoon? How do other soldiers react to the kill?
• Analyze the emotional pain and baggage both soldiers experience after their kills: What sticks with both men still?
• What do both of these passages reveal about war and the preconceived notions of heroism and duty?
• Compare the storytelling devices and narrative structure used by both O’Brien and Manchester in their accounts (patterns, descriptions, organization, rhetorical devices, etc.).