A technique = a skill that the author utilizes in prose writing. Novels, short stories and poems are best suggestions when demonstrating techniques.
A strategy = a skill that can be similar to a technique BUT are seen in speeches. You must consider how the skill demonstrates logos, pathos, Q2’s on speeches and Q1’s for synthesis elements.
A debate/theme= Typical engagement of a big idea from philosophy/economics/society/etc that may appear in Q3.
The objectives for the 3 – 3 – 3 assignment:It’s all about author’s craft: what is he/she doing? How is he/she getting that done with a strategy? How can I access evidence to support, challenge, or qualify a deep idea?
- We have three weeks before the AP Exam.
- We have three days each week to practice.
- We will review three of the best strategy/thematic discussions chosen at the beginning of the next week.
DUE DATES: 4/17, 4/24, 5/1
Bring it at the end of every week for check in. If you convince me of your mastery in that particular analysis, you will not have to repeat that particular writing for next week.
We are still questioning are skills with strategy work.
We need to KNOW our techniques/strategies/fallacies and how they work in a text.
Guideline for Paper Submissions for 3 – 3 – 3
- 1 Page (typed document – this means typed)
- Title of work and media concept (i.e. The Onion MacBook Wheel)
- Strategies provided (pro-con, us vs. them)
- How were the strategies utilized? (establish fear early, call to action)
- What type(s) rhetorical modes were demonstrated?
- What effects are produced because of these strategies?
- Are they effective? Why or Why not? (You better not tell me yes/no)
For #3- This will resemble the Free-response essay.
Wednesday- TED Talk analysis
* This is a great idea lifted from Oz in preparation of our final push towards the test.