Assignment for 12-4-2013-
Yesterday you attempted finish the following statements. These will serve as a start to a future thesis statement for practice synthesis essay. Right now we are reworking the idea each time we read/ listen to a new source.
1. Finish this statement. It will/ should change as you work your way through these sources.
The ________ of war is(better verb) ________.
The ________on/ of a soldier is(better verb)_______.
Open this Google Doc for notes(may prompt you for Google ID). You should be able to make a copy (select File- Make Copy- and it will be in your Drive) and save this into your own folder. It is clear that we are looking for connections from the experiences of the soldiers as the grapple with war. The notes are meant to pull out very specific observations, not rushed or superficial (they feel guilty...). Finish what you can in class and continue from home. You must bring in these notes tomorrow so either print before you leave today or print at home. I will not accept the #outofink or #printerbusted excuse.
- What makes a moral soldier? NPR Interview of Gen. Pace- Transcript
- The Cat by Ryan Alexander (Read along in War poetry packet)
- from Manchester's journal Goodbye Darkness via War is a Force that Gives Us Meaning
- The War Within-
- Bring in this note sheet completed as you will need it as a source for our practice synthesis essay.
- Read In The Field, Good Form, and Field Trip
For further reading-
Why veterans miss war TED Talk- Sebastian Junger
New York Times- Home Fires series
A Soldier's Heart- Frontline Documentary
I am Sorry it has Come to This
The War Works Hard- by Dunya Mikhail (Read along in War poetry packet)